Staying Connected. Staying Safe.
I recently almost fell victim to a phishing scam, and I want to share my experience so you can protect yourselves.
It started with a Messenger chat from a respected elder in a community I am actively involved. Thinking it was really her, I responded when she offered to help me register for a DSWD senior citizen program through her nephew. Out of respect and trust, I engaged in the conversation. Though I am aware of this program because a friend even sent me a link. Having tried and failed to register twice before, I was eager to receive the help.
However, warning signs appeared when the person on the other end began asking if I had additional phones, used online banking, or held active ATM accounts. Knowing never to share sensitive financial details, I immediately ended the chat and took action.
Minutes later, I received a call that my Messenger account was used to ask for P12,500 from a close friend who happens to be a mother of a nun. Since the person knows me very well she called me but wasn't able to connect because I was already taLking to my daughter. She called my niece to confirm if something was wrong with me that I would need that much money. I immediately called the person to tell her that nothing is wrong with me and told her not to entertain the request for money.
Through the help of my daughter and some friends, notifications were sent that my account was scammed.
My daughter helped secure and restore my Facebook and Messenger accounts after a brief pause.
My dear friends here are the Red Flags to Watch For:
• Requests about extra phone numbers
• Questions about online banking or ATM accounts
I share my story not to spread fear, but as a friendly warning. I view social media as a space to share our church's mission, celebrate our active laity, and inspire others that life after 60 is full of friendship and meaning.
Please stay cautious—even when a message appears to come from someone you know and respect!
STAY VIGILANT, DOUBLE-CHECK SUSPICIOUS REQUESTS.
STAY CONNECTED! STAY SAFE ONLINE.
08.16.26
Comments