To Grin at Hello and Smile at Good-Bye


To Grin at Hello and Smile at Good-Bye
The hotel was positively majestic yet not that overbearing to look at.  With the sun marvelously glowing gold; the sea arrogantly showing off its waves at how big and gigantic they are; the sky not wanting to be outdone by being as blue as possibly can be; the Bacolod Pavilion Hotel beautifully matched the backdrop. I heaved a heavy sigh of admiration as I stared at it, and grinned before pushing through the glass doors. I was here, finally, at the City of Smiles - Bacolod City.
After getting checked in, moving luggage, switching rooms, moving luggage again, getting comfortable and playing Monopoly with Jem and Rexie (as to which the latter later won), Mr. Fuentes pulled us out to have a grand time eating lunch and strolling around at SM City Bacolod.  I was a bit disheartened by the lack of good books, but I was happy I even got here anyway.  I laughed a lot that day, twirling Jem around in the public eye without a care in the world. “Tomorrow is the Regional contest,” I thought while walking just about anywhere, “Well then, world. Bring it on.”
As tomorrow came and stressing out about  what we hoped were masterpieces became a somewhat hourly habit for us journalists and I got elected Vice President for the Region 6 Editor’s Guild; I was naturally as nervous as much as I acted like I wasn’t.  There were so many “what ifs” on the subject and as “What if I actually WON?” hopefully became written in the books as history and truth, I beamed. I grinned as wide as I could as I went up the stage, just absolutely giddy. After all, who wouldn’t be delighted at finding your hard work was appreciated and rewarded?
With all the massive amount of shenanigans running wild ever since we came, I don’t think Mr. Fuentes noticed we just randomly slipped away from his sight and secretly got him a bunch of birthday presents and a birthday cake. So after we went to the swimming pool to rejoice in our victories, we sneaked off to do our own separate parts in the Midnight Birthday Surprise we planned out.  So when our beloved Big Daddy came in the room to discuss a “financial crisis”, I’m willing to bet he didn’t expect to be greeted by gifts, cards, cake, and everyone screaming “Happy Birthday!” when he opened the door. It was all big smiles, wide grins and loud laughs all around the room then. And watching everyone chuckle and chortle, I couldn’t help it as I snickered along with them.
After a few hours of sweet slumber and sleep, waking up, then breakfast, getting ready and shopping, and sitting on the floor of a jeep, I was stretching and gazing around at the forest scene of Mambukal Hot Springs.  It was all good and great times once more at the bustling waterfalls where we splashed around.  Long hours, yet fun at the swimming pool.  The whole experience was tiring yet satisfying at the same time even while just walking around, getting lost.  Everyone showed their pearly whites on and off the camera, including me.
Yet at last the time has come the next day, and we were packing our bags to go back home.  A full twenty-four hours later was Monday; and as students and teachers we had to go back to learn and teach, respectively. We were all slightly annoyed with this rule; but a duty’s a duty and we took ours with a sigh. Oh well.
As we rather reluctantly pulled our trolleys out the glass doors, I noticed the sun was just as brightly glowing and the sky was just as blue as the day I first stepped foot at the City of Smiles. The sea was the same too, only calmer than before. I blinked as I stared at my surroundings . . . and I smiled as I ran to catch up. I smiled as I said good-bye.
After all, to truly give gratitude to Bacolod City is to grin at hello and to smile at good-bye, right? 

(Written by Jean Dorothy B. Andrada)
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NAT Reviewer (2) - Araling Panlipunan IV

MTOT for G10 in Araling Panlipunan: An Impression

The Catcher In The Rye and The Concept of Communication