Took a Leap

 

Officially going down the hill, so just this once, let me be on time rather than late.

Sometimes you make the right decisions on a whim. You make a choice that is beyond grasp, beyond rationality, and beyond your own understanding of where you should be. I spent a lot of years thinking that I'd be bleeding maroon. I spent even more years thinking that I'd be stuck in my hometown. I chose Ateneo despite that. As soon as I saw the course description in the college viewbook, I knew what I wanted to do.
Screw expectations. Screw finances. Screw literally all of the friendships that I had built in the past six years. I put myself on the other side of Katipunan, and I was alone.
I reflect on this early, lonely start to my college life a lot. Now I can finally say that it's over. The space above my condo's desk isn't just post-it reminders about schoolwork anymore; it's pictures of me and my friends, art and poetry that speak to me, and keychains of my favorite anime characters. I keep an envelope that is bursting with tickets, souvenir programs, and brochures of movies, plays, and games that I've watched, cons that I've attended, and parties that I definitely haven't drank too much at. I've performed on stage. I've written for a major news site. I've submitted a paper about Chainsaw Man for finals and got an A for it. I, for some godforsaken reason, have gotten into League of Legends . . . and that's just the top of the list for things that I didn't expect I'd ever want or ever have the capability to do. They're certainly things that would have been inconceivable without the friends, orgmates (special shout-out to BBI 🐃), family, profs, and community that have supported me, through and through.
I learned a lot of lessons at Ateneo. But the first lesson is one that I got before I ever set foot on Loyola Heights: when I sought advice from the Atenean speaker at my last high school recollection, and she quoted the legendary Fr. Ferriols — "Lundagin mo, baby."
Nilundag ko nga. At lulundag pa. Maraming salamat, Ateneo.
For your white and blue.
Jean Dorothy B. Andrada
Bachelor of Science, Major in Life Sciences
Minor in Development and the Law
Cum Laude
Program Awardee
Ateneo de Manila University, Class of 2023

JDBAndrada 7.01.2023
All reactions:
Evelyn Botea, Luting Aguilar and 47 others

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NAT Reviewer (2) - Araling Panlipunan IV

MTOT for G10 in Araling Panlipunan: An Impression

The Catcher In The Rye and The Concept of Communication