#StoryOfTheNation: Why does the ABS-CBN shutdown matter?

"My dad was the only person that religiously watched TV in the house. And when he wasn't on cooking channels, he was always on ABS-CBN."

"After a morning jog, he'd come back home to have breakfast while watching Umagang Kay Ganda. We'd sometimes have a brief foray into GMA for Eat Bulaga during lunchtime, but more often than not, we watched Pilipinas, Game KNB? or Wowowee."
"While waiting for my mom to come home after work, we'd switch to the channel dedicated to 24-hour coverage of the PBB housemates, or watch Boys Over Flowers (and after that ended, he watched Katorse just to see Erich Gonzales). Dinnertime was always watched with TV Patrol, without fail. And in the middle of all that, the television was always on ANC. Needless to say, we fought a lot over the remote."
"When he died, my mother cut the cable and bought a cheap antenna from CDR-King. And though we did have access to GMA, we'd still watch TV Patrol during dinnertime. We'd watch It's Showtime during lunch, and we'd stay up to watch I Can See Your Voice. She bought the 'mahiwagang black box' just so we could keep watching ABS-CBN in my condo."
"Maybe, as a journalist, I should be furious over what the ABS-CBN shutdown means for press freedom. Taking down the largest and longest-running TV company in the country is no joke, and whether it becomes an opportunity for Bong Go to 'save the day' or being a temporary shutdown is irrelevant. It's a clear statement from the Duterte administration that they have the ability to control what information reaches the masses. And, well, I am angry about it, and everybody should be."
"But more than being angry, I'm mournful. More than being a news source, ABS-CBN is a big part of my life. I'd cry over MMK episodes and I've got each Christmas Station ID memorized by heart and I'd roll my eyes at Ang Probinsyano's cheap editing. I didn't follow any teleserye, but I'd be surrounded by classmates who'd always be talking about the latest developments in Agua Bendita, or May Bukas Pa, or Lobo, or Mara Clara. I used to get excited every Sunday because that's when they'd air new episodes of Goin' Bulilit. And though I was asleep when they went off-air last night, when I woke up this morning, I cried."
"More than my anger against the administration that ordered the shutdown, I stand with ABS-CBN because it is something that has brought me joy and love and laughter, and I'm sure it's done the same for the millions of Filipinos that have been tuning in for the past sixty years and more."
"I stand with ABS-CBN because I stand in the service of the Filipino people. Nothing more to it than that."
– Dorothy Andrada, MovePH citizen journalist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NAT Reviewer (2) - Araling Panlipunan IV

MTOT for G10 in Araling Panlipunan: An Impression

The Catcher In The Rye and The Concept of Communication