VALEDICTORY OF A MOTHER


 I never had a chance to deliver a Valedictory Address in my school days, though I had several occasions of writing for my students and my daughter when she was in prep school because during her elementary school, she wrote her own valedictory address.
                
Looking at the meaning of valedictory which means farewell, goodbye, parting – just the thought of it draws me to sadness.  But on the other hand, a valedictory gives one a chance to thank people who had been vital in the success of another.  It also brings back the memories of struggle and triumph over challenges overcame and a realization that success is not handed over, but worked for.  I am drawn to a conclusion that I, too, can make my own valedictory not as a top academic achiever but a  Mom of a graduate.
                
Nineteen years back, I never thought I would bear a child, but lo and behold, I was given a child after seventeen years of marriage.  The event was exhilarating and the next episodes in my life were exciting and fulfilling, though, after ten years of having a daughter, I lost a dear husband, thus, leaving me alone in raising a child.  At an early age, I saw the potentials in my daughter because she already exhibited smartness.  As a parent, my husband and I brought her to schools, which we think can hone her potentials.  True enough, we made the right choice.  Her nursery days were spent in Pace Learning Center; Prep and elementary days at Capiz Commercial School; and, high school at Philippine Science High School - Western Visayas Campus, Iloilo City.  Worth mentioning also is that, she qualified in scholarships which made her schooling quite remarkable :  a Filipino-Chinese Chamber of Commerce scholar during her grade school; DOST-PSHS scholar in high school, and luckily, qualified for a DOST Scholarship in her forthcoming college education.

Perhaps the most noteworthy accomplishments she had aside from her academic awards in both English and Chinese Curriculum at Capiz Commercial School, was  her being awarded as 2013 Most Outstanding Private School Pupil of Western Visayas by the Private Schools and School Administrators  Association of Western Visayas.  This award spoke of  her academic,co-curricular and community accomplishments.  It was during her fifth grade that her journalistic prowess was discovered.  She was the feature writer of the Western Visayas Team which won  5th place  in collaborative writing in the 2012 National Schools Press Conference.  The following year, she was hailed as over -all  Champion, Individual Highest Pointer for winning First Place both in Editorial Writing and Feature Writing in the 2013 Regional Schools Press conference - Western Visayas.

In high school, aside from being in the Director's List of Philippine Science High School - Western Visayas Campus she was chosen as Girl Councilor during the Rotary Club of Iloilo City's  Search for Rotary Boys and Girls Week. She was able to act as Girl City Councilor of the  Iloilo City Government on October 24 to 29, 2016.  As a coach also of this prestigious competition in the school where I am teaching, I was greatly overwhelmed that my daughter was able to experience such unique activity.

It was also in high school that it was discovered that she is good in public speaking.  It all started when she won in an extemporaneous speaking contest in school and later served as emcee in various school activities. The highlight of it was when she and her team won First Place in a Debate during the Genetics Camp at UP Los Banos in April 2016.  In 2017, she was part of the team that participated in the National Youth Congress at UP Diliman.  Her Team won 3rd Place in the Case Study Competition. 2018 showed her potential as a leader.  She was an organizer of the TEDx, a first for Western Visayas, which was successfully undertaken. She was also part of the Intellectual Encounter Debate Team which represented  her school in the 2018 Econvergence at UP Diliman.  Her Team qualified in the first round but was not able to make it to the final round.

At first I was quite guilty of sending my daughter to Iloilo City because aside from living away from home, I won’t be able to let her savor the great experiences I had exposed my students at Capiz National High School, not only as a teacher but as a coach in many prestigious competitions.  However, as years passed, I am glad that she was able to get a different learning experience, even greater than I expected her to have.  Almost four decades of teaching experience taught me never to pressure my child to be on top of the class.  I do not wish to see her trapped in the dungeon of insanity or in the gutter of unhappiness. I have often told her that going to Pisay is a privilege, getting on the Director’s List is a bonus.  I would be a hypocrite if I say I don’t like to see her in the Honor’s List, it’s only that  I do not like to add extra stress on a highly academically-competitive schooling.  If she did, she did it on her own volition. And that, would of course be a delight.  The prodding is not because of glory or gratification but as an added credential for easy access to scholarships and work/employment which she can make use in the future.
                
Ever since, I had always emphasized that getting good grades is not enough because this is never my gauge for intelligence.  I rather look at a person’s ability to translate intelligence to actual life and make this as a tool to help himself and others become better, either in a workplace or in the community.  If you can speak your mind, I bow to you. I do not mean that you have to be loud and bragging about being intelligent, because being intelligent is manifested in a person’s behavior and attitude towards work and life as a whole.  Intelligence IS God’s gift  not for keeping but  for making life better and shaping personality worthy of emulation.  To me,  education is getting the theories and concepts about life, but how one uses education in furthering one’s life is intelligence.  We may all know how to read, but not all of us may comprehend and know how to make use of what we read.
                
On the occasion of celebrating graduation, CONGRATULATIONS to the graduates for overcoming the challenges of academic hardship, financial inadequacies, and, physical and psychological pressures. 

To the parents, CONGRATULATIONS, too, because sending children to school is also a struggle to hurdle. 

To family and friends who had been great support – GRATITUDE . . . GRATITUDE. . . A LIFETIME OF GRATITUDE! 

How can I forget the teachers who put in a lot of effort and time in nurturing the students -   to the unsung heroes of the academe . . . HATS OFF for the noble job.

To the God I have always relied on, FORGIVENESS in doubting and procrastinating; and, THANKSGIVING for the mercy and blessings that always come at the most opportune time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NAT Reviewer (2) - Araling Panlipunan IV

MTOT for G10 in Araling Panlipunan: An Impression

The Catcher In The Rye and The Concept of Communication